Sunday, February 3, 2008

Now What?






Kai and I watched a video today about building a house and it was amazing to see the machinery, the forms, the wiring, the pipes, the landscaping, etc that went into making this house on the video. All I could think about was lugging block, hand mixing cement, twisting rebar, leveling each row of the wall...


I would love to go back to Honduras. The question that seems to coming up for me today is "how do you use your resources?" At every turn I see stuff, excess. I do not want to live in 'a falling down shack' as Sienna so perfectly described many of the houses we saw. But I am in such a place of privledge, both in my own community and especially as compare to the global community.


Where do we focus our time, energy and resources? Where does family travel fit into the picture? How do you build relationships, connections, structures, goodwill while being sensitive to the existing community and culture? What do you do for self and what do you do for others? What is really needed in the world?

1 comment:

Unknown said...

The questions bring tears to my eyes as I'm struggling with the same. As I saw the pictures of the previous days I was momentarily transported back...and can't wait to physically return. I want to "adopt" those wonderful people of Jasmin!
Marleen